There are many ways to hide ones tracks on the information superhighway. The main way people put a face on a computer is with the computers IP address. That number can easily be turned into a real address with minimal effort. Therefore almost all anonymous services deal solely with IP addresses. Ip anti-detection can be divided into one of two categories.
- Software Based:
- Proxy: A proxy in simple terms is another computer out there somewhere that bounces your connection to where you want it to go. You can download add-ons for Firefox so these proxy “Addresses” can be typed in.
- List Blocking: List are compiled of various Computer addresses that people wish to block from their connection. Using this service one can, to some degree block the government, RIAA, Spyware sites and even Adds. A popular free list blocking tool is called peer guardian.
- Bounce link: Some hosting sites allow you to download a link that they themselves have in stock that users have uploaded. After a disclaimer they take no responsibility for links that users upload, some even deleat IP address logs; or
- Hardware Based: By adding or removing certain parts from a computer a person can reach a level of high anonymity.
- NIC-USB: By removing your internet card you achieve perfect anonymity, they can’t come through the power cord right? However, if you want to stay online it may be better to invest in some hardware that will take you there. Get yourself a high volume data recovery drive, In short a huge USB flash drive. Install an operating system and all you have to do to use a random computers BIOS setup to boot the computer up from USB. This comes in handy at pizza places with high speed, or even some coffee shops. However, you will then have to stay anonymous in real life and will eventually have to learn advanced SSH protocols.
- Differential Porting: Two computers can be hitched together using parallel or serial cables as well, given that proper hardware and software conditions are met. Using this method several computers can be hitched together with mixed proxies and ports to confuse any would be downpeeper.
- Airsnorting: With a wireless laptop one can sit outside a coffee shop. By using a nameless Linux application one can find the invisible encryption keys that flow through the air during wireless transmissions thus giving you the golden ticket to their connection. This combined with SSH protocol will put you online almost anywhere.
- IP addresses are never really invisible. By using proxies one can slow detection down but will never download without a trace. Also note that proxies slow down Internet speed considerably.
- The best way to avoid being caught is not to do anything illegal. Seek out legal alternatives whenever possible, even if it is not as convenient.
- The only truly anonymous connection is the one you can put in your pocket and take with you.
- Anybody sufficiently determined, like the RIAA, could break anonymity given enough time. This holds true no matter how hard you try; your traffic still has to go through many routers and servers.
- Laptops have IPs just like desktops.